Taizo-in is a subtemple of Myoshin-ji. It was established in 1404. Taizo-in has two gardens of interest; a Muromachi garden ascribed the landscape painter Josetsu, and a recent garden, Yoko-en, designed by Nakane Kinsaku. Rinzai Zen Buddhism.
Taizo-in is generally open to the public, and when asked, the temple replied that there is free access also to the Muromachi garden, which is best seen from the building. But often the building in front of the small Muromachi garden is not open. So you may have to step up yourself, open the shoji, enter the hall and enjoy the garden from where it was meant to be enjoyed.
Taizo-in, 35 Myoshinji-cho, Hanazono, Ukyo-ku, 616 Kyoto
Tel.: (075) 463 2855
Fax: (075) 463 257
URL: www.taizoin.com/main.html (only in Japanese)
The Tawaraya ryokan has a recent sukiya style wing designed by Junzo Yoshimura in 1958.
Tawaraya is not open to the general public. And when asked, they refused to receive a group of students, as it might be disturbing to the guests.
Tawaraya, Anekoji-agaru, Fuya-cho, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto 604
Tel.: (075) 211 5566
Fax: (075) 211 2204
Tenryu-ji was founded in 1339 by Muso Kokushi (1275-1351). At that time it was ranked among the largest and most important temples. Tenryu-ji's garden has a stone composition, which testify to the intimate relationship between the Muromachi garden composition and the composition principles of the Chinese Southern Sung Dynasty monochrome ink landscape painting tradition. Rinzai Zen Buddhism. Also this garden is one of the early examples of a shakkei garden.
Tenryu-ji is generally open to the public.
Tenryu-ji, 68 Susukinobanba-cho, Saga, Ukyo-ku, 616 Kyoto
Tel.: (075) 881 1235
Fax: (075) 864 2424
Tofuku-ji was founded in 1236, and in early history it was among the largest Zen monasteries and was highly ranked in the Gozan hierarchy of Rinzai Zen temples. The gardens of Tofuku-ji Hojo are reconstructions made by Mirei Shigemori in 1938, and his gardens all the way around the large hojo structure are among the best from his hand. Rinzai Zen Buddhism.
Tofuku-ji Hojo is generally open to the public.
Tofuku-ji Hojo, 778 Honmachi, 15-chome, Higashiyama-ku, 605 Kyoto
Tel.: (075) 561 0087
Fax: (075) 533 0621
Toji-in was founded in 1341 as the family temple for the Ashikaga family, but the present structures are reconstructions dating from 1818. Toji-in's garden has two main parts: The east garden in a forested setting dominated by a pond in the shape of the character shin (or kokoro), meaning heart, spirit, or mind. The western garden, which is also a pond garden, is spatially defined by architectural structures, including the tea pavilion Seiren-tei and exhibits a lot of pruned azalea scrubs. Rinzai Zen Buddhism.
Toji-in is generally open to the public.
Toji-in, 63 Kitamachi, Kita-ku, 603 Kyoto
Tel.: (075) 461 5786
Ura Senke came into being when the grandson of Sen Rikyu, Sen Sotan (1578-1658) divided the Sen family property into three, thereby establishing the three Sen schools of tea, Ura Senke, Omote Senke and Mushanokoji Senke. A visit to Ura Senke is an outstanding experience, and within the precincts of Ura Senke you find tea rooms and sukiya structures central to the development of tea architecture, like Kan'un-tei and Konnichi-an.
Ura Senke is not open to the general public. Application must be made through a letter directed at Iemoto, the present head of Ura Senke, 15th generation after Sen Rikyu. For a predominantly Japanese group, application procedure should be made through the Japanese office. For a predominantly foreign group, application should be made through the International Division (same address, but different telephone and fax numbers). Best thing to do is to call or write for further instructions.
For our study tour everything proved to be booked throughout our nine days of stay in Kyoto. So unfortunately we could not visit Ura Senke. But I have been involved in several arrangements of visits to Ura Senke. Ura Senke understands its role as a cultural institution in a modern world, and for a decent request there is usually a positive response.
Urasenke Chanoyu Center, Horikawa-dori Teranouchi agaru, Kamigyo-ku, 602-8688 Kyoto
Tel.: (075) 431 6474 (Japanese only)
Fax: (075) 431 3060
Tel.: (075) 451 5166 (International Division)
Fax: (075) 451 3926
Zuiho-in is a subtemple of Daitoku-ji. It was founded in 1546 as the family temple of the Otomo family. Main hall and main gate are still the original structures. Zuiho-in has a series of gardens designed by Mirei Shigemori, of which the northern garden has a cross composition of its stones to commemorate the strong Christian ties with the Otomo family.
Recently, a copy of Sen Rikyu's two mat tea pavilion Tai-an was made within the precincts of Zuiho-in. This tea pavilion, Heisei-no-Tai-an, has its inner roji shaped like an ante-space, called a tsubo-no-uchi. Recently it is believed that also the Tai-an located at the Myoki-an temple in Oyamazaki had such tsubo-no-uchi space. But after Rikyu's death it was transferred to its present location without the tsubo-no-uchi. Rinzai Zen Buddhism.
Zuih-in is generally open to the public, but in order to see Heisei-no-Tai-an, you need to arrange special permission by return postcard. Entrance fee is 1.000 yen, and this also includes admittance to the main temple and a serving of macha. Photographing is permitted, and opposite the Tai-an in Oyamazaki, in the Tai-an copy of Zuiho-in you are permitted to enter the space, which for study tour purpose makes it the better choice.
Zuiho-in, Daitokuji Sannai, Murasakino, Kita-ku, 603-8231 Kyoto
Tel.: (075) 491 1454
Fax: (075) 491 1858
Continue to Kyoto, urban districts & modern architecture (11 of 11).